We hope you all had a great half term break.
This week we would like you to use the video below as a stimulus for your writing.
To start with, write some sentences to answer the following questions:
How did the man feel about seeing the turtles?
Why did he put the rope around one of them?
How did he feel when the rope broke?
Why did the turtle come back for him?
Where do you think they went?
You are going to write about what happens next. What adventures could the man and the turtles go on?
Once you have thought of an idea, work through the following steps:
- Create a story map to show the events in your story.
- Step out your story idea (Come up with a series of freeze frames/actions to show what happens at each part of your story).
- Practise telling your story to someone else. Think about using expression in your voice and hooking your listener.
- Next, start writing your story. Don't rush - take the time to introduce your characters and the setting.
If you want to you can use this sentence to get your story started.
He couldn't believe that he had safely landed on the strong, steady back of the flying turtle. The view from above the clouds was spectacular! As he felt the wind blowing in his hair he wondered where were the turtles going to take him? In the distance he saw ..
What we are looking for:
- Include expanded noun phrases – example the giant, flying turtle
- Use capital letters, full stops, exclamation marks or question marks to punctuate my sentences.
- Use adverbs in my writing – example The turtle flew gently into the clouds.
- Read your work through to check it makes sense and then edit it if needed.
We cannot wait to hear and read these stories so please do send them in!!
Use the tips below to help you with your masterpieces!