This week, we would love you to have a go at a "Big Write". When we do this in school, we provide a stimulus for writing and then allow the children some time to plan what they want to write, give them plenty of time to write it and then time to edit it. The stimulus for this big write is a video called "The Book of Butterflies" and it can be accessed via this link:
Follow these simple steps:
- Watch the video a couple of times.
- Have a discussion about what is happening in the video.
- Write down some words/expanded noun phrases that come to mind when you watch it.
- Have a go at drawing a picture to represent the video.
- Think about what type of writing you are going to do - it could be a story about one of your favourite books coming to life. It could be an information report on butterflies. It can be absolutely anything you want it to be. The Possibilities are endless!
- Spend some time planning it out. If you are writing a story then draw a story map, practise telling your story orally and step it out with actions. The more oral rehearsal that you do, the better your writing will be.
- Set aside a good amount of time in a nice calm space and have a go at writing.
- Make sure you regularly taste your work to check it is yummy! (This means reading it through to check it makes sense, is punctuated correctly and is the best you can do. During this stage you can add bits in and edit it to improve it).
- You could send us a video of you telling your story and we can share them on our website.
- We would also love to see a photo of your writing!
Enjoy and we cannot wait to see what you come up with. Remember, with a big write there is no right or wrong way of doing it, it is totally up to YOU! Be as crazy and imaginative as you possibly can!